In 2024, online sellers have a crucial task at hand: understanding the ever-changing Facebook Ad size and specs. If you're an eCommerce brand looking to captivate online shoppers, you must keep up with the latest Facebook Ad updates. These updates are like the tools in your digital marketing toolbox, helping you create eye-catching ads that grab potential customers' attention.
You must understand that Facebook's recommended ad sizes may change in the upcoming year 2024, so it's crucial to stay up to date. You don't want to waste time and money on beautiful content that doesn't fit well.
So, if you're wondering what size is a facebook ad, here's a cheat sheet with the latest Facebook ad size and specs to help you out. Plus, we'll share some essential tips to create ads that work effectively.
Will Facebook Ads be Worth it in 2024?
Absolutely, Facebook Ads can be incredibly worthwhile for businesses in 2024. They have a significant impact on buyer behavior, and many people have purchased products after seeing an ad on Facebook. For example, As per findings, about 13.5 percent of people said they bought something after they saw an advertisement for it on Facebook.
So, just like last year, in 2024, Facebook ads will continue to be a worthwhile investment. If you want to advertise on Facebook, you have lots of different ad choices. We'll talk about many of them below.
When creating Facebook ads, it's crucial to adhere to specific ad sizes and specifications to ensure your content looks great and performs well on the platform. Here’s a guide to help you meet those requirements:
Facebook Feed Ads Sizes
The most sought-after advertising spot is in a user's social media feed, and it's highly competitive. Just like everyone else, your rivals want that same spot. Think of it as the prime real estate of social media.
You have two choices for your ad: you can use a picture or a video. Facebook has specific rules for both the visual content and the words you use in your ad.
It's important to clarify that we're talking about ads that appear within a user's main feed, not the less common ads you sometimes see on the right side of the screen.
Facebook Feed Image Ads
Facebook Feed Image Ads are the advertisements you see while scrolling through your Facebook feed. These ads usually consist of a picture along with some text. They are quite popular because they appear directly in your feed and catch your attention.
Facebook has a rule about the amount of text you can put in the image of your ad. They prefer images with less than 20% of the space covered by text. If your image has more text, Facebook might show your ad to fewer people. They have a tool to help you check if your image follows this rule.
However, there are some exceptions to this rule. If your ad is a book or album cover, a product image that shows the entire product, a game, or an event poster, you can have more text in your image without any problems. These types of ads are allowed to have text even if it takes up more than 20% of the image.
Facebook Ad Image size and Specifications for Feeds:
- Image Dimensions: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Image File Format: Use JPG or PNG file formats for your images.
- Image Aspect Ratio: Facebook recommends an aspect ratio of 1.91:1 for feed image ads.
- Text Limit: The text in your ad should be concise (125 characters). Facebook restricts the amount of text in your image, so it's a good idea to keep it minimal.
- Headline and Description Length: The headline and description text should be brief and engaging. The character limits for these are 27 characters each
Facebook Feed Video Ads
Facebook Feed Video Ads have gained prominence in recent years due to the growing popularity of video content. It's important to distinguish them from Facebook In-Stream Video Ads, which are limited to 10-second videos.
Essentially, Facebook Feed Video Ads are akin to Facebook Feed Image Ads, with the key difference being that they utilize a video instead of a static image to engage the audience within the user's feed.
Facebook ad video size and Specs for Facebook Feed:
- Recommended ratio: 1:1 (for desktop or mobile) or 4:5 (for mobile)
- Resolution: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Video Length: Up to 240 minutes
- File Type: MP4, MOV, or GIF recommended
- File Size: Up to 4 GB
- Headline and Description Length: 27 characters each
- Video Thumbnail: No more than 20% of text
Facebook Ad size for Story
The Facebook ad size for Stories is designed to fit seamlessly into the vertical format of Stories, which are the short-lived image or video collections popularized by Snapchat and Instagram. Facebook Stories have also become quite popular.
You can create full-screen vertical ads that appear in between Stories. Photo Story images are displayed for 5 seconds unless the user swipes away, while videos can be as long as 15 seconds.
These ads in Facebook Stories can use a combination of still images and short videos, just like the regular Stories content.
It's important to keep in mind that there should be some empty space of about 14% (250 pixels) at the top and bottom of each slide. This space is reserved for the user's profile image and a call to action, making sure your ad looks clean and doesn't interfere with these elements.
Facebook Stories Ads Images Sizes and Specifications:
- Resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels (minimum resolution recommended for images)
- Image ratio: 1:1
- File Type: Use common image formats like JPEG or PNG.
- Image: Images shouldn't make up more than 20% of the text.
Facebook Stories Ads Video Sizes and Specifications:
- Recommended Resolution: At least 1080 x 1920 pixels or as higher as possible
- Aspect ratio: Between 1.91 to 9:16
- Video Length: Up to 15 seconds
- Recommended File Format: MP4 or MOV
- Video thumbnail image: No more than 20% of text
Facebook Ad Size for Carousel
Facebook carousel is like a digital slideshow or album that you can create to share multiple pictures or videos in a single post. People can swipe or click through these images or videos one by one, like flipping through the pages of a book.
Each slide can have its own description or link, making it great for telling a story, showcasing products, or sharing different aspects of a topic in a single post. It's a creative way to engage your audience and share more information in one Facebook post.
Facebook Carousel ads are flexible and can be used in various places:
- In the regular Facebook feed as both images and videos.
- On the right-hand side column of the Facebook interface.
- Inside Facebook Instant Articles.
- Within Facebook Marketplace.
- On the Facebook Audience Network in different formats, like native ads, banners, and interstitial ads.
Facebook Carousel Ad Size and Specifications for Carousel:
- Image Size: The ideal image size is 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Image Format: Use high-quality images like JPG or PNG.
- Image Ratio: For the best results, maintain an image ratio of 1:1.
- Minimum Number of Cards: 2
- Maximum Number of Cards: 10
- Text Limit: 125 characters per card
- Headline Limit: 32 characters per card
- Description Limit: 18 characters per card (required)
Facebook Carousel Video Sizes and Specifications:
- Video resolution: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Video format: MP4, MOV, of GIF
- Video file size: Up to 4 GB
- Aspect ratio: 1:1
- Cards: Minimum 2 cards and maximum of 10 cards per Carousel Ad
- Video length: 1 to 240 minutes (recommended under 15 seconds)
- Text: 125 characters
- Headline: 32 characters
- Link description: 18 characters
Facebook Ad Size for Right Column
In the past, the regular Facebook ads that appeared on the right side of the screen used to be the go-to choice for advertising. However, as more people started using mobile devices, there was less interest in these desktop-only right column ads.
What's interesting is that in the data from the last quarter of 2018, we saw that the cost of getting someone to click on one of these right column ads (about $0.57) was roughly half the cost of getting someone to click on an ad in their main news feed.
These right column ads share similar information with the ads you see in the main news feed, but they're smaller and typically feature a still (landscape) image instead of a larger, more dynamic ad format.
Facebook Feed Ad Sizes and Specifications for Right Column:
- Minimum image size: 254 x 133 pixels
- Recommended image size: 1200 x 1200 pixels
- Image ratio: 1:1
- Image text: Keep text in the image under 20%
- File type: Accepted image file types: JPG or PNG
- Text limit: 125 characters (without a link)
- Headline limit: 40 characters (avoid truncation)
- URL: Landing page URL is required.
Facebook Ad Size for Messenger
Facebook Messenger ads are a type of advertising on the Messenger app. They're popular because they let businesses connect with customers directly in their chat conversations. These ads appear as messages in the Messenger inbox, helping businesses engage in personalized conversations with potential customers.
They're effective for building relationships and driving sales, as they offer a direct and interactive way to reach people where they're already active.
Presently, you can only use images for this format.
Facebook Ad Sizes and Specification for Messenger:
- Recommended resolution: 1200 x 628 pixels (consistent with feed posts)
- Minimum width: 254 pixels
- Minimum height: 133 pixels
- Recommended aspect ratio: 9:16 to 16:9
- Image ratio: Image will be cropped to 1.9:1 ratio
Best Facebook Ad Size Practices
Facebook ad size can significantly impact the effectiveness of your ad campaign. Using the correct ad dimensions and formats ensures that your ads look professional and display correctly on various devices. Here are some best practices for Facebook ad sizes:
- Use the Right Dimensions
Using the right Facebook ad size means making your ad the correct shape and size so it looks good on Facebook. Imagine it's like fitting a puzzle piece in the right spot. If it's too big or too small, it might not show correctly. So, when you create an ad on Facebook, follow their rules for how big or small the ad should be to make sure it looks nice to people who see it.
- Mobile Optimization
Mobile Optimization means making sure your Facebook ads look good and work well on smartphones and tablets because many people use these devices to access Facebook. To do this, create ads that fit well on small screens, like square or tall images. Make sure all the text and images are clear and easy to see on mobile devices, so people don't have trouble viewing your ads on their phones. This helps more people see your ads and may lead to better results for your business.
- High-Quality Images and Videos
Facebook ads should look very clear and good. If your pictures are blurry or not sharp, people won't like your ad. So, make sure to use pictures and videos that are very high quality and not fuzzy. High-quality visuals make your ad more attractive to people.
- Text-to-Image Ratio
You should avoid using too much text on the images in your Facebook ads. Facebook has a rule that limits the amount of text you can have on an image because they want ads to look more visual and less cluttered. To follow this rule, use images with minimal text, as images with too much text may not perform well. You can use Facebook's Text Overlay Tool to check if your image has too much text. It's best to keep your images more focused on visuals rather than words.
- Use Carousel Ads for Multiple Images
Carousel ads are like a slideshow. Instead of one picture, you can show many. It's like telling a little story with your ads. This way, people can see more about your product or idea without clicking on a separate page. It's good for showing different features or products in one ad.
- Engaging Headlines and Descriptions
Make your ad headline and description short and interesting. Your headline is like the title of a book, and your description is like a brief summary. Keep them clear and captivating, so people want to learn more. For example, if you're selling a new phone, you might use a headline like "Amazing New Phone!" and a description like "Discover its cool features." These words should be brief and to the point, enticing people to click on your ad to find out more.
- Call to Action (CTA) Buttons
In simple words, a CTA button is like a sign that tells people what to do when they see your ad. It can say things like "Learn More," "Shop Now," or "Sign Up." These buttons guide viewers on what action to take, making it easier for them to engage with your ad. It's like a friendly nudge, helping people know what you want them to do after seeing your ad. Choose a CTA button that fits your ad's goal, like buying a product or learning more about your services.
Facebook Ads are still a great choice for promoting your business in 2024. The good news is that the facebook ad size and spes for the ads don't seem to be changing a whole lot. This means you can keep using the knowledge from our comprehensive guide without worrying about major updates. Facebook Ads offer a fantastic way to reach your target audience, increase brand awareness, and boost sales. As long as you keep creating eye-catching and engaging content, Facebook Ads will remain a valuable tool for your marketing efforts in the upcoming year. So, don't hesitate to make the most of this platform and make your business shine in 2024. Get started on your eCommerce success journey with Adyogi today!